Running and trail running at night or at dawn require the right equipment to ensure the runner’s safety and comfort. The headlamp is an essential piece of equipment. But how do you choose the best headlamp for these activities?
The importance of a headlamp
Whether you’re a night runner or a mountain trail runner, a headlamp is essential for your safety. It allows you to see and be seen, to anticipate obstacles and to practise your sport with complete peace of mind.
What a headlamp is and how it works
- Type of power supply: There are rechargeable headlamps with batteries and battery-powered headlamps. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages.
- LED technology: LED headlamps have become the standard because of their efficiency, durability and shock resistance.
- Lighting power: The power, expressed in lumens, determines the brightness of the lamp. The higher the wattage, the more powerful the light.
- Type of beam: It’s essential to distinguish between a wide beam, ideal for close-range activities, and a focused beam, suitable for seeing at a distance.
- Autonomy: Autonomy is crucial, especially for long trips. Some models offer energy-saving modes to extend battery life.
- Waterproofing: For outdoor activities, it’s best to opt for a waterproof lamp.
- Lighting modes: Many lamps offer different lighting modes, such as bright, eco, red or flashing, to suit different situations.
Choose according to activity
- Running and trail running: Choose a powerful lamp (150-200 lumens) with a focused beam to anticipate obstacles.
- Hiking: A 100-150 lumen lamp is generally sufficient for hiking.
- Camping: A 24-100 lumen lamp is ideal for lighting your campsite.
- Mountaineering: A very powerful lamp (300-900 lumens) is needed for the demanding conditions of mountaineering.
The best brands on the market
- Black Diamond: Ideal for mountaineering and climbing.
- Petzl: Renowned for its innovative technology and durability.
- Led Lenser: Offers exceptional quality of light.
- Silva: Perfect for trail and mountain biking.
Accessories and maintenance
It’s essential to look after your headlamp properly to ensure it lasts as long as possible. Don’t forget accessories such as spare headbands, protective pouches and extra batteries.
A headlamp is an essential piece of equipment for running and trail running. By considering the above criteria, you’ll be able to choose the headlamp best suited to your needs and activity. Don’t forget to visit Dealeez to discover a wide range of headlamps and work lamps.